Monday, September 2, 2019

Long Lost Family sans Davina McCall

Meryl, grandma and Buddy, San Francisco,1947.

I wrote about a potential half-sibling of my mother's here. However, to recap a bit, here's a bit of background: I and another biological half-cousin, Dee, sent notes of inquiry via the genetic testing site 23 and Me to a woman called Ginny. Ginny, it appeared, was exactly as genetically related to us as Dee and I were to each other. The email that I sent to Ginny went unanswered and I let it lie. 

Unbeknownst to me, Dee was persistent and sent a further more detailed note to our genetic relative which ultimately ignited a response. The two of them compared notes and it was determined that my mother and Ginny's mother were, indeed, half-sisters born 14 months apart. Both were given up--my mom was given to Irene to raise with her husband and two older children and Margaret was formally given up for adoption at hospital.

Ginny's mother Margaret, an only child, had always known she was adopted. Adoptions were a closed affair back in the 40s, so Margaret knew, of course, nothing of her birth family. Ginny's mother was thrilled to find out she had a half-sister and quickly got in touch. 

Yesterday, my mother met this long-lost half-sister for the first time at a restaurant at Pier 39 in San Francisco. I tagged along at the behest of my mother and I'm glad I did because I was able to take photos of the two of them, write down bits of information shared and steer the conversation when needed. 

All of us had brought along a few family photos to share. My mom shared photos I had never seen. The above snap was one of them. In the picture are my bio-grandmother, Meryl, my grandma, Irene, and my uncle. I knew that Meryl and Irene had known each other via Irene's younger sister, May, but hadn't really visualized the two of them ever socializing together. Interesting to note about this photo is that it was taken after my mother had been born, but before Margaret had been born. Had Meryl known when this photo was taken that she were pregnant? 

My Mom and Margaret seemed to get on and I liked Margaret, too. With them sitting across the table from me, I could see, actually, that they didn't much resemble each other. They both, however, possess dark-green eyes which I thought was neat as did they.

After lunch, Meg and Mom wanted to walk around Pier 39, visit the sea-lions and see the double-decker carousel. I really wanted to leave them to themselves. I wasn't feeling tip-top anyway and asked them if it were all right that I left. They were in favor. I sat on a bench and watched them disappear into the crowd before I stood up and left for home. 




Mom waiting for Margaret



Mom and Meg, meeting after some 72 years. 


25 comments:

  1. How wonderful. An incredible discovery. Green eyes are special too.
    You were not feeling tip top? Temporary I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the CRPS and, yes, it's temporary. I just wanted to get off my feet. I was fertig ('finished' in German) & wanted off my feet. It was funny, you know, I, a GenXer, sat with cane in hand watching a 72-year-old and 73-year-old go off together to be with each other and explore the pier. I imagined them as school girls, hand-in-hand, though they weren't. :)

      Delete
    2. I feared it was CRPS, and am not surprised you wanted to be off your feet. I hope you have been able to rest up since then.
      Love the mental image of your mother and her new sister as school girls...

      Delete
  2. I can't imagine what this must be like as five out of eight of my great grandparents were all from the same village, so the only long lost relatives I ever come across are distant cousins. But I would never rule out the unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adoption makes things tricky. My mom's birth mother had, we now know, five children. She kept her two boys and gave up the girls. We knew of her family a bit growing up because the truth about my mother's parentage was shared with her when she was a teen. Four out of eight of my great-grandparents lived here in SF, so I did occasionally bump into second cousins while growing up.

      Delete
  3. A wonderful reunion! I'm happy for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope that Meg wishes to keep contact with my mom. We shall see...

      Delete
  4. How fortunate, I suppose, to make an actual connection. I have no problem meeting bloggers who are strangers of another degree. You are meeting relatives!
    I've given up making the genetic connection I hoped for. We are dwindling in numbers, and all those cousins would be years older than I am, for starters. I look at the
    published pictures of matches of varying degrees, and they are so young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother was very happy to find out about Meg. I have heard back from my mother that Meg, too, was happy at having made the connection.

      I've not thought about making any more genetic connections, but, if another one comes along, I'm ready!

      Delete
  5. Nice that the half-sisters could get in touch. My mother met her half-sister when she was in her 30s. She hadn't known about her before. It's a sense of connection that one didn't know one was missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you're right. I asked Meg at some point how she felt & she said she felt 'complete'.

      Delete
  6. How wonderful for them to meet up. Hope your CRPS is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. I'm feeling pretty darn good today. It was a happy meeting for them both. My mother is very pleased to find out that she has a half-sibling.

      Delete
  7. Dear Bea, I've never had much interest in ancestry and so ignore the program and ads on television about it. But reading your posting today about your mom and her half-sister, I can see just how value the search can be. I need to rethink this. Hope you are feeling better. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a subject whispered about over my mother's head when she was little. For Meg, who had no inkling of who her birth mother was or that she'd had any birth siblings, it was a joyous discovery.

      Delete
  8. I am glad to hear that your mom was able to meet your her long, lost half-sibling. Very cool indeed. Not enough for me to do the 23 and Me. I have met enough full relatives and I am good not seeing any of them. I can only imagine how disappointed I would be in the half. I know it sounds bad but I have a lot of bad apples in my family tree. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I suspect they were both overwhelmed, but kept it together. It would be nice, perhaps, for them to form a friendship of sorts.

      I hear you on the disappointing family members. No need to go seeking more of them out!

      Delete
  9. I'm adopted and know nothing about my birth parents or family and I'm really happy to keep it that way.

    Glad the meeting went well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm glad as well. It's funny to think that we all may have sort of secret relatives running around town. We could be walking past relations and not even know it!

      Delete
  10. What an awesome story. I've not the DNA testing, but have ton's of research I did on both sides of the family and had a pretty large family tree. Then Family Tree Maker Changed, got swallowed by Ancestry and I have lost some of my tree...in terms of I can't access it. I need somehow to be able to access my old files to convert them to the new system, and I've just done it. Found my way here through a mutual friend and thought I'd pop in for a visit. Always like to meet new bloggers.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sandy! Thank you for the comment. My husband has been very keen on Ancestry & has uncovered a few interesting facts relating to his father, an adoptee. There are family stories forever changed by what one can find on Ancestry, 23 and Me, et al.

      Delete
    2. Wanted to pop back over and let you know I've added you to my blog list and hope we'll get to visit frequently. I really need to solve my software issue so I can get back into the research. I find it so interesting. I can certainly see how finding that type of info would truly change family stories in a big way.
      Sandy's Space

      Delete
    3. Very good, Sandy. Thank you for adding me. :)

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...