Friday, February 28, 2020

Bar book



My original bar notebook was pretty thrashed--pages stained and torn from years of use behind the bar. The above one is a replacement booklet I started using a couple of years before hanging up my bar towel.

In the bar book, I kept a record of new-to-me drink recipes that customers would bring in to have be made, drinks I and other 'tenders made up that were both good and tended to sell, and alternate names/recipes for standard drinks often ordered. Looking through the bar book now, I see that I wrote recipes down usually in some sort of short form. Not every recipe has amounts listed, nor does every recipe specify what glassware is to be used. The recipe for a 'Dumb Bunny', is written only like this:

Dumb Bunny

Kurant
1/2 lemon
7-Up

I'm assuming I meant Absolut Kurant as flavored Absolut vodka was a call-level favorite during my tenure. -don't know if it still is. And given that Dumb Bunny is a 3-ingredient drink that sort of mimics a Collins, then it's assumed that the drink would be served on ice and probably in a chimney glass. As Kurant is the only booze in the recipe, then it's also assumed that that would be a shot's worth. There is no industry-wide shot standard*, but shots generally tend to be hovering around just over an ounce here in the states. In the majority of bars where I worked, 1.25 ounces was the standard shot. 

At the first bar I ever worked in, we, generally, free poured. This means that in lieu of using a measure or jigger, one counted the shot in one's head: 1-2-3-hup! At the 'hup', the tipped bottle neck would be brought back upright and the pour would stop. Free pouring, like any skill, took some practice in order to be good at doing. 

All of us at that joint individually trained to free pour with a booze bottle filled with water placed in the well (where the cheap booze 'lives' in front of the ice well). We'd each go through a series of pulling the bottle up from the well and pouring its contents into a jigger until the booze bottle was emptied. We'd repeat the process until our 1-2-3 count matched a complete jigger pour with no effort or error. 

Here's a page from the bar book with counts (1-2-3-hup!) instead of ounces representing amounts. The Otter Pop recipe shown below lists equal parts of all the booze components. So that's a one count or 1-hup! (said in one's head) on the Chamb(ord)CuraƧao, and raspberry vodka poured into a chimney glass before adding 7-Up to fill. 





Converting to metric, when moving abroad, wasn't terribly challenging. The conversion is: 1.0 US fl oz. = 30 ml.

Here's a bar book snippet from when I worked at Hix in Selfridge's in London. (Note: There was no free pouring at Hix.)



In case anyone is inclined to reproduce this classic at home, the daiquiri recipe's last ingredient and directions are: 3 bar spoons of caster sugar, shake and strain into a cocktail glass and serve with lime wedge.


*Utah has a state-wide shot standard of one ounce. 








12 comments:

  1. I had an uncle who was a bartender for many years. From the stories he told, bartenders put up with a lot of crap. Maybe you worked in classier places, though, and were treated better. I hope so!

    P.S. I'm a Black Russian kinda gal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drunks are challenging to deal with no matter the venue. :) The Selfridges' gig was probably the most fancy and the most stressful, to be honest. My dive bar years were the most fun.

      Ain't nothing wrong with a Black Russian! :D

      Delete
  2. How fun to look through your book. Didn't know you had been a bar tender. If I were younger it's something I thought I would like to do; but only in a small upscale bar where you can hear people without yelling. And where one can take time to kraft a really good drink, not just pour quick and go. I love making cocktails here at home. Trouble is, mine are so much better than when we go out, we hardly ever order cocktails out anymore, lol. The whole diluting things with ice makes mine a home much more boozy. Personal favorites are Martini's (I keep glasses in the freezer), Manhattan's up...don't like them over ice. If I want the ice I tend to make an Old Fashion and I like to muddle the orange with the simple sugar and bitters when I do that. We've been on an Old Fashion kick of late, trying lots of different bourbons and rye's.
    Sandy's Space Oh and I have the nice big balls or squares for my Old Fashions (several specialty ice cube makers, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you know your way around a bottle! I'll bet you make a tasty Manhattan.

      Have you yet tried Blanton's bourbon? It's a good'un.

      Delete
  3. That's a lot to know. Well, like any profession, there are skills that are learned. Most of this went completely over my head, but that's cool. (I don't drink, so none of it was going to make sense to me anyway.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is intriguing. I love the practise which went into free pouring. Is this a skill which continues or one which needs re-inforcing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think, for me, I would need to probably practice a bit again before being decent at the free pour. i haven't tended bar in about 8 years.

      When working, one (hopefully) pours so often that one stays in practice. I began my career at a very busy bar, so that pour muscle got worked early and often.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you got some good memories from perusing your old book. The free pouring reminds of a dumb show I used to watch called Bar Rescue. The staff always got in trouble for free pouring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'll bet as free pouring often translates to money going down the drain.

      Some bars institute the use of measured pour spouts in effort to stop staff from free pouring. I, of course, think they are lame.

      Delete
  6. We have something in common. As a dj I'm always dealing with drunk people, they come up to me knock over speakers and shout, fortunately I can't hear them over the music. At least I don't have to serve them drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a DJ, do you have the power to 86 the rowdy ones? I did like having that ability. My bar colleagues and I mutually decided to 86 the Green Day drummer from our Tiki bar for continually behaving like a dickhead. Sad to say that I wasn't the one to have personally done it.

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...