Monday, March 2, 2020

Lennon/Ono



-picked up this record at a second-hand shop recently for four bucks. I don't much care about the Lennon-Ono love story, but I do like a deal and I like Lennon's singing and song-writing. Double Fantasy was Lennon's first musical release after coming off of 'paternity leave' in 1980. The album's tracks alternate between Lennon and Ono songs. I recognized all of the Lennon tracks, but none of Yoko's. Hers weren't played on local radio stations, from what I recall. I found these new-to-me tracks to be less like toe-tappers and more like individual art pieces. This is not terribly surprising as art is Ono's background. 



There was one Ono track that had quite a bit of warbling on it and my husband remarked that it reminded him of the B-52's Rock Lobster. The hubs was on to something as the B-52s have said that that was a semi-tribute to Yoko's work. 

The photo on the back of the album cover shows the two of them in Manhattan presumably standing across the street from Central Park. They look so darn young. One does wonder what music Lennon had left in him after this collaboration. 


12 comments:

  1. Oh my, they do look young don't they.
    You arerright about her not getting air play. I wonder whether it was the relative fame, or whether her gender had a lot to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gender certainly had something to do with it. I would think that her songs were played on college radio where DJs have greater control over musical content. Her stuff wasn't commercial enough, I would have thought.

      Delete
  2. Strange to think that Yoko was a Hiroshima survivor (or was it Nagasaki..?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't known that. -does seem strange.

      Delete
  3. It's hard to tell how well these old LPs will play, but if it's good it's a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think that I remember how to check a record for imperfections--holding the disc between the palms and gently moving it all around. -got lucky with this one; there are no scratches.

      Delete
  4. It's sad to think what might have been if only.

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...