Friday, February 21, 2020

Cruisin' along


When I feel anxiety while driving, I crank up the rock-n-roll & have a sing-along with the radio.  A long-standing fave that is in somewhat heavy rotation on the local airwaves is the above Led Zeppelin song called Over the Hills and Far Away. (The video is a pretty trippy, if you're so inclined, take a gander.) My steering wheel becomes a drum kit and my closed fist doubles as a microphone. Any knuckle-headed behavior by other motorists takes a back seat--har-har--to the electric guitar-heavy music that keeps me cruising comfortably down the highway to my destination. Thank goodness for the car radio!

To go with more driving puns, I feel as if I've hit a bump in the road with my 'tutee', M. Last week, he spent a majority of our time together being rather contrary. Any questions posed, thoughts expressed, ideas to be shared were met with a resounding NO. His behavior became somewhat fatiguing to deal with and, as I am still new to the tutoring game, it sort of threw me off track (is that another driving pun?). Fortunately, I had my notes at the ready, so I was able to shift to a new topic when necessary

During session, we went over a reading strategy called 'visualization'. I don't recall explicitly being taught this trick as a new reader. I think it may have just come naturally to me. And, honestly, doesn't the ability to visualize a story as it is being read come fairly naturally to most of us? Well, in any case, it's being taught to the students who are in our program. I introduced the concept (Me: You're going to use your imagination... Him interjecting: I don't have one!) and explained to M. that he would read a page aloud to me, then close the book and tell me what he could see in his mind that connected to the words on the page. He really didn't want to close either the book or his eyes for the visualization exercise and as we were nearing the end of the hour, I did not push further. Interestingly, when the volunteer coordinator came to our to table to check in with M. about what he'd learned he showed her that he could imagine all that he'd read in the short few pages we had gotten through. M. is a tough nut to crack. I think that I may need more tips and tricks beyond the occasional Tic-Tac-Toe game to help him succeed at becoming a better reader. There's a tutor in the center who has been with the organization for twelve years already. I need to ask for her email address, then ply her with questions (if she's keen, that is). 

18 comments:

  1. Yesterday I was covering a middle school English class. One of the students had a one-to-one aide. The girl asked what we were doing, and when I told her it was a silent reading day, the aide gently bribed her with four minutes of tablet time instead of three for remaining focused.

    This is a long-winded way of saying, perhaps if you bribed him with a couple minutes of relax time for X number of minutes on task, it might be something for him to focus on. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought about having him schedule in to our daily agenda when he wanted to take 'game breaks'. That could help as well.

      Delete
  2. Led Zeppelin makes excellent driving music.
    It sounds to me that M (even at his most contrary) is taking in more than you thought - and more than he was willing to admit to you. If he hadn't been showing off to the volunteer coordinator would you have realised just how much he had absorbed?
    Well done - but if you can pick the other tutor's brain, go for it. Extra strategies never go astray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I would not have cottoned on to the fact that he had absorbed more than he let on, sadly.

      Delete
    2. Which is probably part of the reason he was being so difficult. A power play of sorts. But he WAS learning. Which is a win.

      Delete
    3. Yes, he does like to sort of 'run things'. I need to give him more control (or the perception of more control) during sessions. Speaking of wins, he won at 'noughts and crosses'. I gave him a 'high five' for the win. :)

      Delete
  3. There's much to be said for listening to music we enjoy as we drive and why not sing along!
    Does sound like your guy may have more abilities than what he wants to let you know he has -- power, control. Challenging to break through in these instances I'm sure. That can be frustrating and yet rewarding on any given day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listening to music really helps during the stressful bits of driving, doesn't it?

      Yes, he's really keen on having control. I have to give him a bit more of it during session, to help keep the boat steady, as it were.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like M was having a grumpy day. I hope you stick with him -- it does sound like he has potential!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you're right. He'd just come off of a three-day weekend, so, perhaps, he was having a hard time re-adjusting back to school. I think he's a good boy; I'll stick with him.

      Delete
  5. Excellent choice for your car song. I like it. Good luck with the tutee. Hopefully it will all work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! It's a pretty bitchin' song to drive to. Thanks, I do hope that M. and I will find our groove.

      Delete
  6. Tutoring is not my area of expertise. It does look like a lot of good advice above, and I must agree, he's made more progress than he wants you to know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always listen to music when I'm driving. Either the radio or a cd. The only time I don't is after a gig. Having played music for the last 6 hours and my ears are ringing, the drive home in silence is a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robert Plant is a local here, and a co-owner of our pub. I might make a more valuable contribution at some point, but it's bedtime for me now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would relish hearing a bit about Robert Plant. I've always thought that Led Zep achieved more recognition outside of the UK than in. I mean, they were HUGE here back in the 70s. I've been a fan since the days of 8-track.

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Tidbits

Every now and then my mom will drop a nugget of her personal history on me and anyone else lucky enough to be in earshot.  Last night over d...