Monday, February 24, 2020

Whose Jack?



That's our jack, Jack! And, really, it shouldn't be named Monterey Jack at all, but rather Mori Point cheese. 

When I was a kid, Mori Pt. was a somewhat desolate place where local teens would go to get high. -any trace of the Mori family and their 21-room inn long-since gone. Now, as a part of the California parks system, the area is a bit of a tourist magnet. What was once just overgrown trails and precarious climbs is now clearly defined walk paths dotted with signage noting local history and boasting beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean. The story of Mori's cheese, however, is not included in the visitor information. 


Mori Point Inn, overlooking the Pacific


The origin story of Jack cheese--

In the 1880s, Stefano Mori, Italian immigrant and local landowner, began making cheese on his property (the area on and around Mori Point), using rennet rendered from his livestock. A friend of Stefano, a man called Baldocchi, was said to have brought Mori's cheese recipe down south to Monterey where he began producing the cheese on a commercial scale. I have read that the cheese production was to have taken place on a property called 'Jack Ranch'. And so a cheese called Monterey Jack was born. Modern-day Jack cheese is rather bland in flavor with a somewhat rubbery consistency. The original Mori Point cheese, by contrast, has the consistency of a soft, Italian cheese with a tart, citrus-like finish. I much prefer it. 

It's too bad that the only place where one can buy Pacifica Jack is at the Little Brown Church aka Pacifica Historical Society. I'll say this: What our Jack lacks in reach it makes up for in flavor! 

12 comments:

  1. Interesting! I've always liked the commercial Monterey Jack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, good. I don't think I've ever found a Jack I've truly dug. Maybe because I'm a Pacifican and it's somehow in my DNA to be resistant to the Monterey variant! :D

      Delete
  2. How fascinating.
    The name Monterey Jack is familiar to me, but I didn't know any of the back story. From your description yours is MUCH more to my taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still a fairly mild cheese, but, yes, it's tasty!

      Delete
  3. Fascinating story. I think I'd enjoy walking the paths around there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really pretty there. You'd certainly enjoy yourself.

      Delete
  4. Interesting history - I have heard of Monterey Jack but never sampled it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the risk of sounding like a horrid cheese snob, I would say that you are not missing much, to be honest.

      Delete
  5. Around here they also stuff jack with peppercorns and hot pepper flakes. It juices it up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've seen the Jacks with bits in them. The bits do liven the cheese up, for sure.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry, but Monterey Jack is filthy. I would not point it out if it were not that we are just about to order several trillion tons of the stuff to take the place of the lovely French cheese, even though us Brits make many more local cheeses of high quality than France itself these days. Obsessed? Moi? Chlorine-washed chicken next. Christ, I am so depressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to hawk British cheese at a shop in Zurich. The owner was a know-it-all sort from Sheffield. I became rather fond of both Stinking Bishop and Stichelton.

      I hope your gov't prevents the exporting of chlorinated chicken from the US to your shores. Yuck.

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Tidbits

Every now and then my mom will drop a nugget of her personal history on me and anyone else lucky enough to be in earshot.  Last night over d...