Monday, March 16, 2020

Monday the 16th


This picture sort of typifies how it is to do a shop currently. Folk are buying in bulk as much as possible. I only bought a paper and sparkling water--the non-essentials. The front of the paper showed a story about two women in Wuhan who were struck with the virus. I watched as the checker, also from China, slowly eyed the headlines and photos after ringing up the newspaper. 

Current guidelines are that one should stay home for the duration, eschewing all non-essential activities. It's only been a couple of days, but I already sort of miss going out to cafes. Fortunately, I have a 'home cafe' set-up. 



At water aerobics class last Thursday, we were talking about how all public pools in SF city and county would probably be closed this week. And they are. The lido I frequent in the neighboring county is also closed. I had naively thought that an open air pool would, perhaps, remain open for use and drove over yesterday to check the scene. There was a sign posted on the entrance that read that the Brisbane lido would be closed 'until further notice'. Of course, lifeguards probably can't effectively 'socially distance' themselves from one another when working, so closing the lido makes sense. Selfishly, I'm a bit bummed as swimming has been my one rigorous, physical activity since incurring a foot injury a year and a half ago. 

Yesterday, I tried following along with an instructional yoga video that was billed as being 'good for beginners' and nearly toppled over into the coffee table after attempting a particularly strenuous move. I may revisit the yoga video today or tomorrow, but not without first moving the coffee table! 

17 comments:

  1. We are going grocery shopping a little later today. I wonder just how many shelves will be empty. The panic buyers are certainly getting lots of exercise here.
    Yoga can be incredibly challenging can't it? When/if this is over I must try and get back to a class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yoga is no joke. I appreciate the breathing one does associated to body movement. I felt particularly calm during the mat moves while breathing. I will attempt grocery shopping a bit later. At least one, local store has truncated their hours in order to successfully restock products that are particularly sought after currently.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry about your pools. I can see how they would be hard to keep open, at least staffed, anyway. I bet chlorine would kill the virus. I don't know this for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had sort of figured that indoor pools would shut, but I wasn't sure on whether or not outdoor pools would as well. Now I know!

      Delete
  3. I think life will get very boring for the next few months until this awful virus is under control. If that ever happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, every activity I had scheduled for the next 2 months has now been cancelled. Good thing I'm an introvert and like being by myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had a sewing course scheduled. That's off, of course. I wish I enjoyed being alone more. Time to learn!

      Delete
  5. Oh, that's a nuisance about the pools. It has been recommended here to avoid pools as well, but I'm not sure if they're closed yet. I'm still trundling down to my dancing classes where there are hand sanitiser pumps everywhere. I guess only the fit and healthy congregate in places such as these but I'm bracing myself for having to resort to youtube classes in the living room (with the trip hazards moved, obv!) when the inevitable day comes that they shut the doors. Sad face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super sad face. I just purchased an overly expensive yoga mat for all my floor work needs.

      Yeah, I would imagine that your dance class will be put on hold soon enough.

      Delete
    2. And I purchased a super expensive leotard a couple of weeks ago! It'll only to be flaunted about the Casa now. In Australia we're down to 100 people in an indoor space, as at today, but the studio is now offering credits etc for cancellations. As I'm not a pro, there's no good reason for me to be taking up space there, so it's home dancing for me for now. Super sad face, for sure.

      Delete
  6. I just mused on another blog, I wonder what we all will talk about the next month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Bea, I've been homebound for over 3 1/2 years and so the shut down is not affecting me creating. But, oh, it must be so hard--socially and mentally and economically--for so many millions of people. I'm trying to think of what I can do to help. The only think I'm coming up with is sending checks to charities that help others.

    As to yoga, I have a yoga DVD for the elderly. It has three tiers. I"m on the first, which is a 26-minute seated exercise. The 2nd tier is longer and features sitting as well as standing. And the3rd is all standing. I don't know when--if!!!!--I'll reach that tier! Stay safe. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to read that your creativity is still flowing!

      Sending checks to charities would be a good way to lend support.

      Three-tier work-out, eh? Sounds good. May you enjoy your yoga DVD!

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear about the pools. Now that all of the gyms are closed, I am struggling to find at-home workouts that make me happy. It will be interesting to see how things continue to play out. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, at-home exercise can be challenging especially if one doesn't have access to loads of gym equipment!

      Wishing you health and safety as well.

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...