Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Say it 5 times fast---

Nifty image rendered by a former Toy Boat employee. (-missing an apostrophe, but who's complaining?)

I had a hankering for something sweet, so I swung by Toy Boat Dessert Cafe today. I worked at Toy Boat exactly thirty years ago when I was a student at San Francisco State University. Going to Toy Boat is like stepping into a time machine. The place looks nearly the same as it did when I scooped ice-cream there back in 1990. Sure, the prices are higher, they've non-dairy milks for espresso drinks and some gluten-free treats on the menu, but the vibe of the joint is the same.  


Toys, desserts and mechanical horsey...oh, my!

The mechanical horsey ride for 25 cents (maybe it costs more now?) is still a centerpiece for younger visitors. The image of the postcard above illustrates that Toy Boat has had a problem with 'big kids' (read: straight up adults) trying to ride the horse and breaking the darn thing. Toy Boat has gone through a few different mechanical horse rides since I've left their employ. 



Inviting exterior.

My old boss, Jesse, came in just as I was leaving. We had a short, friendly exchange. I caught up on how some of my former co-workers are doing. Jesse's in touch with many of them. He's the same gregarious, super friendly sort. I think it's wonderful that after all these years (Toy Boat opened in '85) that not only is Toy Boat still thriving, but that Jesse is still at the helm and still warm and welcoming. We did a weird elbow bump as greeting (thanks, Covid-19!), but took leave of one another with a hug. It'll be fine, right? 

21 comments:

  1. It speaks volumes for a business to be still thriving all these years later, and still retaining the staff speaks even louder.
    Love that cartoon too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, right?

      -glad that there are still a few one-off businesses here in town that are worth their salt.

      Delete
  2. I'd not be able to recognise any of my employers from the uni days, much less remember their names! But it is nice to have a proper step-back-in-time like you had. Things seem always to be changing just for the sake of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is nice to be able to visit places like Toy Boat from time to time.

      Delete
  3. Bet you rode it when the cafe was closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could remember if that were true!

      Delete
  4. Looks like a fun place! Nowhere I worked pre-1985 exists anymore. Everyone's dead or retired. Hell, I'm retired too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Bea, I bet you had fun working there! And isn't it a treat to go back to places that were part of our lives and see how they've changed--or haven't--and remember that time with fondness! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun time in my life & the job was easy. It is a treat to be able to go back to places that have held up well.

      Delete
  6. It speaks volumes about the place that you still remember working there fondly. Not all jobs are that good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It also helped that just across from Toy Boat was a comedy club called The Holy City Zoo (where Robin Williams still did drop in sets) & a bar called The Last Day Saloon that featured loads of live bands. That corner of the city at that specific time in SF was just plain fun.

      Delete
  7. What a fine old building. Older than 1980.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll say it is! It's probably from the 1890s, if I had to guess. There's even a basement and that's quite unusual for out here.

      Delete
  8. Oh, that looks like a fun place to visit! Like the sign. Too bad some ignore the message. Maybe if a sign had an age range....or, if they posted a fine would be charged if violated, could they legally enforce it? Would kinda destroy the ambiance of the place I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a fun place to visit. If I had kids, then I'd be a regular there, to be sure.

      Delete
  9. So many links to the past have simply disappeared. It’s always a pleasure to find an icon of a previous life still going strong.
    Elbow bumps?
    I’ll just smile and greet warmly - if I like the person, that is. Otherwise and unfriendly scowl will do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a great pleasure to tap into the pleasant things past.

      Smile and greet warmly--from a distance--seems to be the new status quo.

      Delete
  10. Glad to hear you had a nice visit with your old boss. Stay safe out there and stick with the elbow greeting for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, man. May you all be safe and healthy, too!

      Delete
  11. I may have to learn Spanish first! :)

    Be well,
    Bea

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...