Saturday, June 20, 2020

I made a card.

SF mental map, ca. 2018

Last week, I did something virtually unheard of in 2020. However, thanks (?) to the Covid crisis, I was able to drive my car midday on the freeway downtown in order to park in front of a stationer's just off a normally very crowded Market Street. Usually, I'd take public transport for such a trip, but, even with the current precautions in place, I'm still somewhat nervous to do so. The particular shop I visited sells card stock suited for printer use & I wanted to make cards out of some old San Francisco mental maps.  Mental maps, for the uninitiated, show how one engages with or conceives of a specific geographical area. I recall learning about mental maps in a class on German culture some twenty years ago. We non-German students were asked to draw a mental map of Germany. Most of our maps showed a very Bavaria-centric country replete with images of beer mugs and pretzels. Our teacher, however, a woman who was part of Germany's counter-cultural generation, the 68ers, drew a map of a divided Germany with a focus on the Wall and Checkpoint Charlie. 

With the help of my computer-savvy husband, I was able to reduce the map image via an app. called GIMP. I am fairly pleased with the 3" x 5" result and have already sent out a few cards to friends.  

13 comments:

  1. Oh what fun - and I love the idea of you sharing your mental maps.
    I have found social distancing easy on public transport - because so many people are still avoiding it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, nice. Maybe I should give taking the train a shot when next I need to go downtown!

      Delete
  2. Interesting description of what a "mental map" is. And your printed cards look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card. Once upon a time I tried GIMP, but I could not figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure isn't easy to figure out. -glad I had help.

      Delete
  4. You've drawn other mental maps for us. Good fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your card. I also like the idea of a mental map of Germany. My M.M. of Germany would feature Hamburg's St Pauli, Nuremberg Stadium and endless miles of pine-fringed autobahn leading to the un-bombed South. I wonder how it would differ from yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tom. I can somewhat visualize your M.M. of Germany. Mine would include SW spots like the Swabian alps, Ludwigsburg and Stuttgart. -not gonna lie, pretzels would feature as well.

      Delete
  6. I like your card. I like it a lot.
    Just imagine me saying that like Jim Carrey in "Dumb and Dumber."
    Excellent work, Bea, and I am glad you were able to get there in your own vehicle without too many problems. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can believe it, I've never seen 'Dumb and Dumber'. -wasn't huge into Jim Carrey's comedic films, although I loved him on In Living Color. Go figure. Thanks for liking the card, Mr. Shife. It really made me happy to be able to create it!

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...