Sunday, June 7, 2020

Wee bike trip and Strandfunde/beach finds

We took the bikes out for a spin yesterday in Golden Gate Park. It was a lovely day with blue skies overhead and mild temperatures. A stretch of roadway in the park has been blocked off to through traffic during quarantine so that park-goers may be able to exercise in socially-distant fashion. My husband and I began our journey at the bottom of the park, hit the car-free zone somewhere in the middle of things, then looped back down past the car and out to the Great Highway (a road that runs parallel to the ocean also closed to car traffic for the duration) for a quick back and forth. The bike trip was scenic, only slightly taxing and stress-free. Prior to yesterday, I hadn't been outside of the house on my bike in a few years. I look forward to some more 'quarantine cycling' before the roads again become clogged with cars as businesses begin to reopen in the ensuing weeks.


Husband after the ride.

I leave you with some new German vocabulary-- (I have added the translations.)

Ghost


Video game

Wig

20 comments:

  1. I am glad you got out and about. How are your pain levels at the moment? Much better I hope.
    Love your beach finds too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was great to get out. And there were no symptoms while cycling. For that I am extremely grateful. Thanks for asking, E.C. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love these finds! The ghosts inhabit the stones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ghost, Pacman and ... Mr Potato-Head? ... Congratulations on the successful trip! I flirted with thoughts of taking my bike out during these quieter times, which I've never done before owing to mad traffic and hills in every direction, but too late. The traffic chaos has officially returned here. Seize the day, Bea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're pretty darn on it.
      -ghost, videogame, wig.
      I'm seizing it, thank you!

      Delete
  4. Nice to hear that some roads are closed. More places to bike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely picture of biking fruend. I can guess some of your beach finds, but not most. Good to be out biking, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rats! I forgot to write in the translations.

      1. ghost
      2. video game
      3. wig

      -very good to be out stretching the old legs.

      Delete
  6. Great that you could get out on the bikes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The German word for "wig" is the same as the French word -- "perruque"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted, Debra. German has loads of borrowed words from French. Some stay in their original form like 'restaurant' or 'original' while others morph into a German spelling and take on German pronunciation characteristics as well. The final 'e' in 'Perücke' is not silent, for example.

      Delete
  8. Nice to hear that got enjoy some blue skies on the bicycle. I particularly enjoyed the "video" German vocab lesson. Pac-Man was a go-to game at the arcade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the vocab lesson. Pac-Man was fun, but I sucked at it. Ms. Pac-Man and Super Pac-Man were more my jam.

      Delete
    2. I had a mini-arcade version of Pac-Man and it helped me become an arcade hero. I still wish I had that game.

      Delete
  9. We've been out on our bikes a lot since they closed the swimming pool, and what wonderful machines they are. It's hilly round here, which has put us off in the past, but it's something you learn to deal with. Getting in right gear is half of it, although sometimes you have to stop for a couple of minutes or even get off and push. And there are some brilliant one-hour or two-hour rides round here, just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to read that you both are enjoying bike-riding during the pool closure. I do miss swimming, but am glad to be able to get a bit of exercise with the bike!

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...