Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Lights out and locks.



I just cant bring myself to talk about the subject at hand, so here's a bit of distraction.


The lights are left on 24/7.

The house behind our back fence has been an AirBnB/short-term rental property for as long as we've lived here (about four years). Mostly, it's been just fine. There were a few parties around last New Year's Eve that got a bit shout-y, but beyond that the lodgers have been quiet. 

Last month we noticed home renovations going on. Then, more recently, the room that had been used as an office by the last guests was staged as a bedroom. My guess is that Covid may have thinned out the bookings for this home and the owner doesn't quite have the 'cash cow' that he once had, so he wants out. A quick check on an online real estate company's website shows that this house is, indeed, now on the market. 

This property, like all in the immediate neighborhood, was purpose-built as a single family dwelling. It had been converted into two units some years ago. Although the property boasts two mailing addresses, it is listed online as one unit. The listing reads, in part, as follows: 5 bedroom, 4 bathroom at 2,360 square feet. The asking price is near 1.4 million dollars. In San Francisco, by law one cannot convert a two-unit building into a one-unit dwelling. Given that one of our San Francisco Supervisors did just that nearly 20 years ago and seems to have gotten away with it means that the law isn't always followed and penalties would seem weak. 

I selfishly hope that this property sells soon as its lights are left on all day and night. And with no window treatments, the light beaming from the home can be a bit of a nuisance. I wonder if home stagers feel curtains make a home look small? 

***

Since lockdown began I have seen many-a moving truck in San Francisco. Job loss and WFH arrangements have meant that more people are leaving SF than they are arriving to the city. A recent dip in rental prices would seem to support this idea. We thought we might take advantage in the rental property surplus and move house. however, after seeing one too many shoddy flats, we might just stay put after all. Look at the facade of the four unit building below. Built probably sometime in the 1890s/early 20th century, it has all the charm one could want in a building. Entering the flat, however, was an exercise in how to remove all homely touches in the worst way possible. Take a look at the 'lock' on the back door in the photo below. Would it have killed the owner to put an actual lock where the screwdriver currently is? Also the sort of mudroom in which the photo was taken was a right mess. File this one under: Pretty on the Outside.  







14 comments:

  1. I am looking for distractions as well. Once I am done blogging, I am going back to the gym for the second time today. I am hoping to wear myself out so I go to bed early and get a good night's rest. I have not slept well the past two nights. Hope you find something worthwhile as far as a new property goes and not another one that employed a screwdriver as a security system. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a pie yesterday. Two slices for dinner last night and one for breakfast today. Two trips to the gym sounds better than two slices... Now I feel both physically and emotionally shitty. :D

      Delete
  2. I must be the only happy one about. Just waiting for Nevada to declare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The election results seem to be turning hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm up at 2.30am here in the UK watching the results. We Brits want Trump out too. Well some of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think AZ went to Biden. Fuck with a war hero and that's what you get.

      Delete
  5. Distractions are more than welcome.
    I had a hard day on a personal level and my heart has ached for your country. And the world. The horror got me up at 2.30 this morning and hasn't diminished. There is hope, but the threatened legal action frightens me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to read that your day was challenging. There is hope, but, man, the litigious nature of the Trump Show may way slow the results of the election down.

      Delete
  6. Distractions are great. I recorded a bunch of Flip or Flop episodes from HGTV. I love that show because it's local to me, and I'm constantly trying to figure out if I've been in the area. That, and Netflix shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu...I'm all over the streaming services. :)

      Delete
  7. I just went to bed and patiently await the resolution of vote counting and outcome — hopefully by the end of this year.

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

Tidbits

Every now and then my mom will drop a nugget of her personal history on me and anyone else lucky enough to be in earshot.  Last night over d...