Thursday, December 3, 2020

Getting to know you...sort of.

There are six houses on my block, three homes on the south side of the street and three on the east. The house directly across from us has its blinds open, if it even has any, day and night. I spied a woman at her window watching me as I was standing at mine surveying the street on the day we moved in. This woman is often to be seen in her kitchen futzing around. (Now that I have put curtains up, I see her less often.) I have taken to calling the woman in the window No-Curtains Nancy

No-Curtains has a spouse who is hardly ever seen. Yesterday afternoon, however, as I was coming back from the shops, I noticed that the man of the house had let the dog out for an unsupervised walk along the block. The dog, a sad-looking Chow mix with an awful lion cut, left a 'deposit' in front of its neighbor's house. He then sniffed around a few parked cars before returning indoors. The poo was still on the pavement as of 9.30am this morning. 

Stoney B, the guy who lives next door, earned his nickname because we see him (smell him?) going out to his garden to smoke a blunt at regular intervals throughout the day. We don't yet have blinds for the window that looks out toward his deck, so we are regularly treated to the sight of him out there, ear buds in & joint lit. We think he lives with his elderly parents.

As for the other three households, there is not much to report. No one seems to be coming or going. Maybe they all work-from-home? Maybe they're retired and keeping their contact with the outside world to a minimum? In normal times, I would have probably made an attempt to at least introduce myself to my immediate neighbors, but, fearing viral transmission, I have kept away save for the odd wave, socially distantly, of course. 


A snippet of the new 'hood courtesy of Hoodline 



                                                               

17 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, is there a "regular post update" series in this? "Won't You Be My Neighbour?" LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or: Do You Have To Be My Neighbour?

      hahahaa

      Delete
  2. Sometimes socially distant contact is as close as I want to get. Ever.
    I do hope you find that you have neighbours with whom you can strike up a rapport. Drugs and dog crap do not float my boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole thing was strange. I mean, does everyone just let their dogs go for a roam unattended? The pooch had the good sense not to wander out into the street, so that was good.

      And as for the pot smoker, yes, I don't really dig it, but I wonder if he's struggling with some mental health issues and this is how he self-medicates. :S

      Delete
    2. You could well be right about self medication. Here at least Covid has shut many of the mental health groups down, so they are forced to self medicate.

      Delete
  3. Which is Nancy's? I see a lot of curtains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's actually not represented in the pic as it's from around the corner. And, again, hers would be the one home sans closed curtains! :D

      Delete
  4. Sounds an interesting neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the move. I had to catch up as I missed the big news. Sounds like you are going to have some blog material with your new neighbors. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, man. I'm glad to be out of the old 'hood. Living 7 blocks from the ocean can't be beat!

      Delete
  6. Are you sure he let the dog out? I have had a couple times when the dog got out, unbeknownst to us. I even wrote about the time I found a dog on the street (over the summer). But then again, some people. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, no, I'm sure. No-Curtains goes out to the sidewalk while the dog ambles up and down the street to pee and sniff things, but the husband stays in the entryway and smokes while Fido roams free.

      Delete
  7. I bet my younger daughter would like your joint smoking neighbour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, it sounds like this is a big improvement on the previous neighbourhood but the free-ranging neighbours may take a bit of getting used to. Luckily the pooper doesn't come over to your side. That would necessitate knocking on Nancy's door!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would, indeed!

      And, interestingly enough, the stoner next door is actually pretty sharp. I introduced myself to him over the fence a few days ago. -saw him yesterday & he greeted both my spouse and me by name. Mary-Jane hasn't hurt his short-term memory, it would seem. :)

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...