Tuesday, December 8, 2020

The Sunset

At the old place, we lived about a mile from my father's maternal grandparents' home in Bernal Heights. Now, coincidentally, we live about ten blocks from my father's paternal grandparents' house in the Sunset District. Both houses were sold out of family hands, before I was born, in the 1960s. I have an acquaintanceship with the woman who now owns the house in Bernal Heights, so I've been in to see the digs. It's a neat older (for California) home constructed in 1917. That home's highlights include: 12' high ceilings, finely detailed parquet flooring put in by my great-grandpa, a carpenter by trade, and a massive larder. Up until recently, I wasn't sure where the other house stood. After chatting with both of my Uncles, one of whom had actually lived in the Sunset house with his parents as a small boy, I now have its address. I took a bike ride by the place yesterday. I have to say, for a nearly ninety-year-old house, it is holding up nicely. It would be great to be able to have a peek inside, but I'll just have to settle for seeing some old family photos. Too bad I don't know who in the family is in possession of them. 

Here's a snap of the Sunset house I took--

1930s, semi-Mediterranean style home 

The Sunset District, in the early 1900s, was known as Outside Lands and still largely sand dunes. My father remembers riding his bike out to the beach from his house in southeastern San Francisco and encountering 'hills of sand' en route. By the middle of the 20th century, most of the region once known as Outside Lands had been developed into what was then considered suburban housing and re-named the Sunset District. Our pocket of the Sunset, where we now live, was one of the last to be developed in the 1940s. 

From what I understand, it isn't clear how the Sunset District received its name. For me, it would seem so named for the lovely sunsets one is treated to by just looking west toward the ocean. 

Here's a stunner from two nights ago taken at Ocean Beach, now, luckily, just down the road from us--






16 comments:

  1. That is a very nice house. The man on the beach looks as though he is heading a ball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think so, too. I really like the Spanish tile rooftop. We've a decent amount of that sort of thing here.

      Delete
  2. So you're a San Francisco lass through and through? Outside Lands sounds rather dystopian and is much better for its name change. I love those little timber garage doors. You may have to inveigle your way in one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that the name may have had something to do with the fact that public transport didn't extend to the area (no wonder as it was sand).

      I was raised in a suburb of the city, but, yeah, the family goes back here some generations.

      Delete
  3. I was wondering about two doors side by side but Pipistrello explained it - garage doors. Lovely house and sunset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Pip called it. Those doors would be original to the house. Most have been replaced with a single door & usually one that takes a remote control to open.

      Delete
  4. That is a truly lovely house. And a magical sunset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's really neat. Still pinching myself that I live so dang close to the beach!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Yes, I would imagine it to be lovely inside. (Or, at least, is WAS lovely at some point inside.)

      Delete
  6. Naming things is funny. Sometimes there's a good story, and sometimes it's just one of those things that kind of appeared. I bet you'll find the story of how it became the Sunset District sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's true. There's a part of the Sunset called Parkside, or maybe it's its own district, but it is nowhere near Golden Gate Park, the park of renown, but rather near a tiny park that is really only visited by folk who live directly nearby. I always found that funny.

      Delete
  7. Lovely looking house. Sunset is spectacular! You're lucky to have such ready access to such a sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sunset was a good'un, to be sure. I do feel lucky. :)

      Delete
  8. I hope I look that good in my 90s. I hope you get a chance to look inside someday. Love the sunset photo.

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...