Friday, May 20, 2022

Dear M'liss

Melissa and me


Sitting here thinking of what to write and the first thing that comes to mind is GODDAMMIT. All the curse words and GODDAMMIT.

This wasn't how it was supposed to go. Then again hearing the news on Sunday did not come as a complete shock. Well, yes and no. Life kept throwing my old pal curve balls and it would seem that she had finally had enough.

Melissa and I met back in the early 90s at a busy brunch spot called Lynn and Lu's near Lake Merritt in Oakland, CA. I liked her immediately. Not only was she beautiful, she was super smart, had a great sense of humor, and was very good at her job. She could handle a really large section on the back patio in the blazing sun on a slammingly busy weekend day without hardly seeming to break a sweat. I think I asked her once how she managed to keep everything in her head and she showed me the back of her ticket book. She had a system. There written down were all of her table nos. with attendant markings that only she understood. With that system she easily tracked which guests had already received their orders and which guests had yet to. It was pretty clever. But that was Melissa: Clever. She was clever, smart, funny and beautiful.

Sometimes guests would get the two of us confused or think we were related. We used to joke that diners got us mixed up because we were the only two white people who worked at Lynn and Lu's at the time. I found folks' inability to tell us apart flattering. 

Them: Are you two sisters? Me: No, but thank you. 

Them: Which one of you is Lynn; which one of you is Lu? Me: Neither

Them: Hi, Melissa! Me: Oh, she's actually off today. 


Lynn and Lu's crew relaxing at Melissa's pad.

Me and M'liss circa 1996, ice rink at Union Square, SF
Melissa (red coat) could ice-skate and I could not, I might add.




You will be forever loved and forever missed. x

31 comments:

  1. I am so sorry. It can seem a cruel joke our friends check out before we do. Actually, it is a cruel joke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne. It does seem like a very cruel joke, indeed. x

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful and beautiful photo of the two of you laughing together. That's a real keepsake to treasure. My condolences on Melissa's passing. Wishing you heart's ease in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debra. I appreciate your words. x

      Delete
  3. My condolences, friends are irreplaceable and to lose one to death is a misery..

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss. It is " it would seem that she had finally had enough" that really hit me. How very sad. Hugs from across the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's not the way one wishes a friend would go. Thanks for the hugs, my dear.

      Delete
  5. I am so very sorry. For her, and for everyone who loved her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heartbreaking! Such a beautiful, smart girl! Sincere condolences on your loss!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, that's sad. I would have liked to have met you both, especially at the restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos and good memories.
    It is gutting to lose friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I left a comment here which has now disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see the comment, fortunately, if I click on the 'comments' tab. You would have really liked Melissa. She was really something. The American portions at the resto were HUGE, tho'.

      Delete
    2. I suspect that Tom's comment has been marked by blogger as spam and you will have to release it before it appears here.

      Delete
    3. Oh! I didn't realize that comments could be held in that way. Thanks, EC, for the tip.

      Delete
  10. Oh no, I'm so sorry. Losing a food friend is heartbreaking. So glad you have the photos of some of your times together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joey. It is nice to have the memories and photos, at least.

      Delete
  11. I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Bea, don't you two look great together? Sisters, yes. That's sad news about your lovely friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I understand the Goddammit! Have had to utter a few of those myself on two occasions. Enjoy your memories and the time you had together coupled with the photos you've shared. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry for your loss. You do look similar. Glad you have photo's and no doubt more memories. Keep them close.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
  15. My deepest condolences, Bea. I am so sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete

A piece of your mind here:

March 2024

It's me. My buddy, David, very graciously decided to create a series of portraits of your truly & the above image is one of them. He...