Friday, July 31, 2026

Late July

It's been a series of highs and lows of late, both literally and figuratively. There was my exceedingly warm birthday in the middle of July that, traditionally, was neither hot nor very blue-skied along this part of the California coast. Given the toasty forecast, I threw caution to the wind and held a BBQ in my backyard and it was glorious. -no long sleeves, no goosebumps. Last week, I had a serendipitous meeting in my hometown with a former colleague from 20 years' back. She happened to pop into a shop that a friend of mine runs while I was there making chit-chat. I should say that I bump into people from seemingly almost all decades of my life living very near where I grew up, but this particular former co-worker, originally from Minnesota, bounced around the country a bit before returning to California post-pandemic and landing in the small city in which I grew up. -kinda nifty! 

In May, my husband was laid-off from a job he'd held for more than a decade. He has since rediscovered his love of fishing. The hubs grew up fly-fishing in Colorado. We live near the Pacific Ocean. There was a slight adjustment to be made before he felt confident in his efforts surf-casting, but his near-tireless efforts have paid off--


Striper, approx. 26", caught 7/31/26


Yesterday was gorgeous, so we took a bike ride up and through Golden Gate Park en route to the Dahlia Garden as it is in the early stages of blooming. It's an annual must-see. Here is some of the bounty--




12 comments:

  1. OMG what a big fish! Glad to hear your husband has rediscovered his love of fishing. And I adore dahlias too -- so, so beautiful! There's a botanic garden near me that has a gorgeous dahlia garden too -- I should get out there to see them this month. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a happy dude. :)
      The Dahlia never disappoints. -hope your trip to the Botanic Garden brings you much delight, Debra!

      Delete
  2. So sorry your husband was laid off. Glad you had good weather for your birthday BBQ. It's great to have a summer birthday to have those sorts of celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated Birthday, your celebration sounds wonderful! Sorry to your husband, after a decade that had to be hard. THAT FISH, dang that's a great one. I haven't visited the dahlia garden, I'll put it on my to do list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dahlia Garden, adjacent to the Conservatory of Flowers in GGP, is a must-see. You will love it.

      Delete
  4. That's quite a fish, and the flowers.......wow, they're gorgeous. Sounds like hubby might be enjoying early retirement? So fun re-connecting with people from your past. Just last week I had lunch with 8 high school and old neighborhood friends. We talked and laughed for 3 hours, it was great.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's enjoying being the master of fish-catching at the moment, yes. Your lunch sounds like it was fab!

      Delete
  5. That Striper is incredible! 🐟 Huge congrats to your husband on mastering the surf-cast. It sounds like despite the recent roller coaster, you’ve had some gorgeous summer days. Take care, Bea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, bud. It's been great for him to get out and fish. He's built an app that tells him, fairly well, when and where the best fishing could be had at Ocean Beach. I've made at least one really tasty fish stock with the last striper caught.

      Delete
  6. Waving hi as I make my blog rounds. Hope you're doing well.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sandy! Trying not to drown in bad news. x

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

Today

I am unable to comment on posts, at present, and that feels weird. Delighful-looking crab-apple jelly, beautiful Dahlias in NZ...all these l...