Wednesday, December 11, 2019

What to do when you're poorly.

Eric and I completed a 1000-piece puzzle over the last week while nursing nasty colds. I hadn't worked on a puzzle in decades and mostly enjoyed the process. We completed the frame first, I assume that's how most folk do it, then we tried to complete as many structures within the framework as possible. The least enjoyable bit was filling in the sky as that wasn't so much matching swatches of color as it was literally trying every mostly gray piece against every other until something clicked. 

Here we are pre-sky completion--



Color me lazy, but I purchased this San Francisco-scape puzzle because I thought that it would be easier to complete than not. Actually, had I had a better look at the cover art, then I would have realized that nothing depicted was geographically accurate. So, yeah, Chinatown is across the street from the Ferry Building and the Palace of Fine Arts would be appear to be under the Golden Gate Bridge! Nothing was logical about this scene, but it does look nice now that it's completed. What to do with a completed puzzle? Does one just deconstruct it and pass it on to someone else? I imagine that charity shops won't accept puzzles as donations in case they are a piece or two short. Imagine how frustrating it would be to attempt to complete a massive puzzle like this only to have a few pieces missing from the box. No, thanks. 

19 comments:

  1. I passed all my jigsaw puzzles off a couple years ago. What we need is a jigsaw puzzle exchange so people can swap puzzles when they finish them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charity shops here in New Zealand accept puzzles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charity shops accept jigsaws here too.
    My brother has given me too absolute beasts.
    The first was a double sided jigsaw - it had the same picture front and back - but the picture on one side had been rotated by ninety degrees. I failed on that one.
    And the other one (which was also a fail) included a dozen extra pieces.
    I hope the next recipient had been lucky/was more patient than I was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Those sound painful. I had a challenging enough time with the SF one.

      Delete
  4. I don't have the patience to do a jigsaw puzzle once, let alone twice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was so subdued by the cold that I had the patience to get through it (with help, of course).

      Delete
  5. I'd go cross-eyed over that puzzle. I'll stick with the Peter Rabbit plate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can pour acrylic over it and save it forever, even hang it on a wall. I have a friend who did that when we were teens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do some online crossword puzzles. Just something to do when I get bored with other stuff. I received a lot of puzzles as a child and gave them as gifts too.

    Recently we were asked to donate a gift for a child.
    I went to the store and started to look for toys etc. What a bunch of junk. (I'm glad I don't have kids or grandkids to buy for).
    I thought I would buy a nice puzzle or game. I couldn't even find any decent ones.
    My husband got tired of me looking for a decent kid's gift and grabbed a toy truck for over $10 and that was it. It will be broken out of the box.

    (sorry for little rant)
    Cherish your puzzles and enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rant away! I'm sure most mass produced toys these days are junk.

      I love a crossword as well & can usually get by with a Mon. or even a Tues. crossword from the NYT.

      Delete
    2. The NYT puzzles. You sound like me. Usually do the Mon and Tues and maybe a bit of Wed.
      I don't mind cheating a bit when the next day comes. My husband will look and give me a letter or two to keep me going.
      It's just all about having some fun.

      Delete
  8. Senior Centers love new puzzles, as do used book stores, Assisted and Independent Centers do also. I like the puzzle, they just tried to put a bit of everything that would make you think of SF. I don't do puzzles, but a good friend does. She get's a bit obsessed though and won't go to bed until it's finished. She does them on our girls trips which we find a bit maddening as, we 3 can be outside on the balcony, chatting and having drinks and she get's up, goes inside (we think to the BR) and stays for 20-30 minutes working on the damn puzzle. We find that a bit rude frankly. It's suppose to be good for folks to do though to help stay off dementia etc.
    Sandy's Space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tip, Sandy! I could donate the puzzle to a center of some sort. I like the puzzle as well. And, you're right, it's really just a highlight reel of all the bits of SF that you really want to see in one place.

      I wonder, in all seriousness, if your friend is easily overwhelmed with socializing. I find working on the puzzle sort of a contemplative pursuit that does calm me down if I'm feeling a bit anxious about things. Or, of course, as you said your friend could just be behaving rudely!

      Delete
  9. Congrats on your puzzle completion. The thrift stores around here have lots of puzzles but I would never buy one because of the reason you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, man! Maybe I'll just give the puzzle to a friend instead of donating.

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...