Saturday, February 10, 2024

Mysteries unearthed

There's a man that visits the house across the street next to Party House every so often. His routine is this: He double parks his car then hops out leaving both the engine running and the car radio blasting. And it's always the same song. No lyrics--just a thumping beat. We've lived here now for three years and his jam never wavers. The length of his visits vary. It could be minutes or it could be a quarter of an hour. The car thumps and runs. He does what he does, then pops back into his vehicle and drives away. So fucking weird.

Speaking of weird, I remember being fascinated by certain things when I was a kid like the disappearance of Amelia Earhart & the Bermuda Triangle and the mystery of The Easter Island 'heads'. I think I just read that wreckage identified as possibly having come from Earhart's plane has finally been found. Wow. -never thought it'd happen. Same, too, with what those stone statues represented way down off the coast of Chile. 

I watched a docu-film recently on Easter Island or Rapa Nui as the folk local to the area call it. I knew that the so-called heads were really full figures that had sort of been submerged into the land. -can't recall when that information came to light, but it's been known for a number of years now, I think. What I didn't know was what the figures were represented. This doc tries to answer that question by way of noting where the majority of the moai, as the carved stone statues are known locally, can be found. Fresh water can be found in many spots along the coastline of Rapa Nui. It is at these fresh water sites where many of the moai stand. I don't know if it's definitively known that the statues were placed there to mark the spot for fresh water and also serve as a community gathering space, but it would seem so. The research seems somewhat speculative as the writing system used by the Rapa Nui people has yet to be deciphered. Time will tell, hopefully.

The Moai on Rapa Nui


14 comments:

  1. Yes, I heard that news about Amelia Earhart's plane too -- looking forward to hearing whether it might actually be her plane or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen photos of an excavation of those 'heads'. The bodies go down a huge depth. That man who leaves his engine running sounds like he is picking up something illegal to me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it does sound not entirely kosher, but if I were that guy, I'd turn the thumping music down so as to not attract attention from the rest of the block.

      Delete
  3. If I were making some kind of illicit visit I would be more discreet. Maybe it is a double bluff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to look for that documentary, sounds intriguing. Double parker is up to no good. Either delivering or picking up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! DP is doing something over there.
      The doc is being shown on PBS and has a sort of junior high school level quality about it. That said, it's still an interesting watch.

      Delete
  5. It's amazing how many mysteries from our youth have been solved. The answers are there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard Rapa Nui in such a long time. It reminded me of the move of the same name. I remember enjoying it at the time but I don't know if it holds me. Easter Island is such a cool and mysterious place. I would love to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! What an interesting history the island has. I don't know the film...I'm inclined to check it out.

      Delete
    2. I too read that about the plane pieces. Hope they're able to obtain more information. I didn't know anything about Easter Island, other than seeing the pictures of the statues, which always sorta freaked me out....like they were Giants or something. Thanks for posting info about Easter Island, very interesting.
      Sandy's Space

      Delete
    3. They were these other-worldly creatures, weren't they?!

      Delete

A piece of your mind here:

OAK is not OK

The goofiest kerfuffle around these parts currently involves our two major airports, San Francisco International Airport and Oakland Interna...